Home sub with no size limitations

This is the place for all audio-related discussions, which are not covered in any of the other sub-forums.

Home sub with no size limitations

Postby pikipupiba » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:52 am

As far as I know, the one compromise people usually make with subwoofers is how big they can be. You have to pick the right driver and shape/stuff everything just right to squeeze big sound into a manageable box.

I am currently working on something that would take size restrictions out of the equation completely!

I have a queen sized bed (60"x80" with 20" clearance = 55.6 cubic feet!) for which I am designing a bed frame. I got the crazy idea to incorporate my shiny new sub into the design of said bed frame. From what I have learned so far, you can get cheaper and louder if you can also get bigger, and I have 55.6 cubic feet to work with! My current plans call for a 4x12" setup (and I still only use 17.5 cubic feet), but seeing as I have only really done PA speakers in the past, I was wondering what you all could come up with to take advantage of such a massive internal volume and keep the quality up to par with a home theater sub. I am especially interested in a very large tapered horn if that would give the best results.
pikipupiba

Re: Home sub with no size limitations

Postby Bank-to-Turn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:57 pm

Bank-to-Turn

Return to DIYSpeakers general discussion