In wall TL Froy

TQWT, transmission line, isobaric, PR, etc.

In wall TL Froy

Postby Chris Young » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:42 pm

Wow, it's been three years since I've posted anything here. Anyhow, I'm building a TL in between the studs for a friend so it will be completely concealed. I'm using a standard FROY kit, which I've already built as my own TL design and it works well. They've heard it, and they like it so I'm doing it for them.

The thing is I ordered the Froy Kit with the intent of modifying the crossovers to eliminate the baffle step compensation, but now that I look at the schematic, I'm not so sure I can do this without help. I'm currently re aquainting myself with crossover topology but I thought some one here might be able to shorten my journey a bit.

The schematic is found here if anyone cares to take a look. http://www.seas.no/images/stories/diyki ... r_froy.pdf

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Young

Re: In wall TL Froy

Postby clist » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Schematic.jpg
Schematic.jpg (59.35 KiB) Viewed 9635 times
Transfer Function.jpg
Transfer Function.jpg (173.91 KiB) Viewed 9635 times
Hi Terry,
I just made a model with LspCAD.
For the drivers I used two 8 ohm resistors.
It is a simple Low-Pass with about a -10 octave roll off.
No Baffle compensation for Baffle Step in the crossover.
Too Tall
Curtis H. List
Bridgeport, Mich.
I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
Lansing, Mich. local

Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)
clist

Re: In wall TL Froy

Postby Chris Young » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:24 am

Thanks Curtis,

I guess I'll just put them together and see how they sound. I'd say I'd measure them, but I've been threatening to measure the first ones I built going on three years now. I've got the good sound card, I've got the measurement mic, and I even collected all the parts I need for the box to do in Speaker workshop, I just never got any further.

From a listening point of view, I'd say the ones I built do sound very good, and if there is no BS correction you would think they would sound a bit bright. Which I don't think they do.

Thanks for the analysis, it's much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris
Chris Young

Return to Unconventional enclosures