FE208EΣ / FE168EΣ BLH, TL or TQWT

FE208EΣ / FE168EΣ BLH, TL or TQWT

Postby stuart_zimble » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:21 am

Greetings,
It has been a couple of years since I was on any of these forums. Now I have some time a space to continue with some of my designs and projects concerning single driver systems. I want to thank Martin King for such a great and informative site. It is always helpful. But I also appreciate Terry Cain's approach in that I am also concerned with visual aesthetics (and am not good with the more complicated mathematics).

As a first post on the single driver systems discussion, I will kick it off with a solicitation for thoughts and ideas for the ever intriguing fostex drivers FE208EΣ / FE168EΣ.

I have designed (on paper) an exponentially expanding BLH (probably acts more like a tapered tube from a math standpoint) for the FE83 but may extrapolate the horn length from the recommended fostex BLH and "size-up" my design. I am also considering experimenting with materials, such as marble or granite or injection molding some sort of dense plastic material. Comments are welcome.

The main discussion I would like to have would be focused on the choice between BLH, TL, and/or TQWT (folded or otherwise) for these particular drivers. Perhaps someone thinks rthe 166 or the 206 models are superior. Let me know, please.

Cheers, SZ
stuart_zimble

Re: FE208EΣ / FE168EΣ BLH, TL or TQWT

Postby TerryO » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:30 am

Hi,

I don't know how experienced you are in speaker design, but Dave Dlugos has a website that has tons of plans for different horns, etc., that you might want to look at. I've personally heard a number of the different designs and they are quite good.
BTW: The Fostex designs are "just OK" and can be outdone by most of the new designs that you'll find there. The plans are free and the drawings are very clear.

http://www.frugal-horn.com/

Best Regards,
TerryO
TerryO

Return to Single driver systems