Worth Anything?

Worth Anything?

Postby dcramton » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi everyone.

My employer is getting rid of a big, theater sized surround sound system, and I was wondering if the compression drivers on the horns are worth anything. The horns themselves are huge, about 24" across at the outlet, by about 36" long. That's a ballpark guess.

The drivers are all EV. There are 3 DH1A drivers, and two that I think are B1256, but the print is half off the ID tag, so that might be wrong.

Any help ID'ing these and maybe assigning a value would be appreciated.

Thx,
Dave C.
dcramton

Re: Worth Anything?

Postby w_oswald » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:24 pm

Hi, Dave:

What a silly question! :roll: Of course this stuff is worth something - I'd suggest you grab it all!!! Oh, you mean it's not free for you? In that case, make your employer a ridiculously low offer, and take your chances.

To quote from EV's spec. sheet: "The Electro-Voice DH1A is a world-class, high-frequency compression driver capable of unprecedentedly high acoustic power output over an extremely wide frequency range." Range is 500 - 20,000 Hz., 50 Watt power rating, Titanium Diaphragm, 21,000 gauss flux density (the highest currently available, apparently)... In other words - these are top-notch professional drivers. They might be a bit overkill for use in a small home environment, but would be great for use in the backyard or ...? You can get the complete spec sheet from EV's website. I have not personally used these drivers, but would trust them to be very good based on their reputable name. These come up quite often on eBay, and IIRC, they can go for upwards of $100 each in good working condition. (But please don't take my work for this valuation.)

I don't recognize or get a match on the other model you listed (B1256) - can you double-check the label? Then you could try searching some possible variations at EV's site. Same for the horns.

Have fun - the opportunity to scrounge goodies from work is an invaluable fringe benefit!

Wilf
w_oswald

Re: Worth Anything?

Postby dcramton » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:11 am

Thanks Wilf.

I'll take a look at those other two drivers, and this time I'll bring a bigger flashlight! They're in a big, unlit storage space.

I'll see if the boss wants to sell them, I hope. Maybe I can somehow find a way to work them along with the 4x12" plenum subwoofer I want to build under my house this summer. . . . :mrgreen:

--Dave
dcramton

Return to Horns