Beginners help

This is the place for all audio-related discussions, which are not covered in any of the other sub-forums.

Beginners help

Postby JoeSelvik » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:29 am

My name is Joe and I am a student studying computer engineering at the University of Minnesota. For a student project I am leading a group of about ten people who really want to learn how to design and build our own audio equipment. None of us really know much yet so we want to start small. Currently we are picking out plans for an amplifier and a speaker and are going to build them. We are hoping to learn from this and go on from there.

What are the best ways to learn about speaker and amplifier design and how they work? Where should we start? I realize these can be vastly different fields but we can divide and conquer. Is there any great website or book that is a must read for beginners? I am reading through "How to design, build, and test, complete speaker systems," by David Weems and that is really helpful. I am slightly concerned that parts of it might be dated because was published it 1978.

Return to DIYSpeakers general discussion