Kapton/foil ribbon material needed

This is the place for all audio-related discussions, which are not covered in any of the other sub-forums.

Kapton/foil ribbon material needed

Postby Planerguy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:30 pm

It seems this is the only section of the forum with activity, so will post here. First, has anyone heard from Doug Purl, a regular on the old Basslist site? If so, I'd like his email address, or perhaps you can forward my query to him?

I'm trying to obtain suitable ribbon material for rebuilding a set of Carver ribbons. Actually, I don't mind if it's original, a copy, made by B&G, etc. I need about 10 feet of it, and Polyester(Mylar) instead of Kapton would be fine. No need to refer me to the well known re builder. He won't sell the ribbon, and wants absolutely ridiculous prices, imo, for a rebuilt set. Like $1200, plus shipping!!!!
I've considered sending a sample to Graz in Australia who assured me in the past he could not only duplicate it, but surpass it's performance easily. Ah, then there is the cost.....! This may well be the cheapest option, and if the offer is still open and he has a minimum order, I'd make the spare available to whomever at what that portion cost me. This is a HOBBY, not a business, at least for me.
Maybe someone here knows of a set of Carver Silvers, with shot woofers, banged up cabinets. etc.,, but properly functioning ribbons that can be had for a poor song and a dance routine? ya never know, can't hurt to ask.

That's it folks!

The ORIGINAL Planerguy (not one of those foolish copies I see quoted on the internet)

Re: Kapton/foil ribbon material needed

Postby rob » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:29 am

sorry don't have Doug's e-mail.
You might also try Ambience in Australia (if that's not Graz). info@ambiencespeakers.com.au. I had a pair once but the bass was insufficient for my room size and sitting position. Very good, if a little bright, top end and quite powerful.
I also read an article in an old Audio Express on how to make your own of you want to go there.
Sorry if this is old news and best of luck to you.

Postby Speedskater » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:10 pm

Is Doug still with us?
Someone with that name passed away about one year ago in Washington State at age 49.

Postby mackyS13 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:57 am

Interested to see how you went with your search for Kapton foil replacement. I have a set of Ambience ribbons and a set of Carver 60" I bought years ago from the Bass list group buy (remember Dougs posts well). One of the Carvers needs a new membrane, the other may be OK. I am on a budget so cant afford $1000's. Would love to get the Carvers working again,I like the Ambience a lot but the Carvers were pretty special.

Return to DIYSpeakers general discussion