I want to build a set of 7.1 or 5.1 speakers

This is the place for all audio-related discussions, which are not covered in any of the other sub-forums.

I want to build a set of 7.1 or 5.1 speakers

Postby bruhthakuga » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:42 am

I tried to get into designing speakers but realized that my obsessiveness and perfectionism will let me get lost but I still want a good set of speakers for less. Can anyone recogmend a selection of good project?

It's a sin to watch a movie listening to the TV speakers and more of a sin to have a Samsung LN52A650, a PS3, Onkyo TX-SR603X and a Motorola HD DVR with yard sale speakers. Help me repent with a good set of speakers.
bruhthakuga

Re: I want to build a set of 7.1 or 5.1 speakers

Postby TerryO » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:19 pm

There are a lot of good diy speaker designs around, however I can recommend a kit that not only sounds excellent, it is "fairly" inexpensive as these things go and will give you every bit your system can deliver. As an added bonus, they would still be very much at home in a far more expensive system than you might ever contemplate.

Here's an earlier posting (please remember to read the disclaimer):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106

Best Regards,
TerryO
TerryO

Postby Lazarus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:00 pm

Deon Bearden has expressed interest in designing a superior home theater system and letting us DIYers have the design. I post this in hope that Deon might respond and let us know if life will allow him to pursue this interest. The best thing about this offer is that Deon is extremely knowledgeable and skilled at speaker design. Even the skilled lay designer couldn't hope to equal what he could do.

Deon, you listening?

Thanks,

Rick
Lazarus

Postby TerryO » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:54 am

Lazarus wrote:Deon Bearden has expressed interest in designing a superior home theater system and letting us DIYers have the design. I post this in hope that Deon might respond and let us know if life will allow him to pursue this interest. The best thing about this offer is that Deon is extremely knowledgeable and skilled at speaker design. Even the skilled lay designer couldn't hope to equal what he could do.

Deon, you listening?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,
I remember Deon from the old Bass List days and I believe that he's pretty good. However, there are a *lot* of talented "lay designers" out there as well. I've heard a fair number of pricey Hi-End brands that get slaughtered when compared to some of the designs done by the local "lay" talent here in the Pacific Northwest, and I'm not sure that other parts of the country are in any way deficient in talent either.

Perhaps you can tell me why a "skilled lay designer couldn't hope to equal what he could do."?

Best Regards,
TerryO
TerryO

Postby Lazarus » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:29 pm

[/quote]Rick,
I remember Deon from the old Bass List days and I believe that he's pretty good. However, there are a *lot* of talented "lay designers" out there as well. I've heard a fair number of pricey Hi-End brands that get slaughtered when compared to some of the designs done by the local "lay" talent here in the Pacific Northwest, and I'm not sure that other parts of the country are in any way deficient in talent either.

Perhaps you can tell me why a "skilled lay designer couldn't hope to equal what he could do."?

Best Regards,
TerryO[/quote]

Ok, you caught me. I was blatantly trying to 'butter up' Deon and see if he'd get re-interested in the project. Yes, a skilled layperson could do, in fact I could train up a bit (or a lot) and do it myself if I had the time as it is an art but not one that is unattainable by an intelligent, motivated person. One thing that Deon has that a lay designer doesn't is intimate access to the speaker manufacturers. He could design and bring to fruition a new, better suited driver to the particular design. A lay person doesn’t have similar access. Deon also expressed a desire to build the system to T*X II standards for whatever that is worth as I understand that debate. It is very expensive to learn what those standards are and I doubt any lay designers have intimate knowledge of those but may very well have met or exceeded those parameters with a good ear and measured design. Deon wanted to offer such a design to the hobbyist.

Sorry, I wasn't dissin' the lay designer as you said, many excellent sounding speakers come from the lay mind.

What lay designed home theater speakers do you recommend? A design that is offered free to the enthusiast. The worst case scenario for me would be to bust out some grandpops of Dan Wiggins' design which at the time of design might have been a lay design, not sure on that, but a great example of the PNW audio community at work. I should check to see if those mids are still available I know the tweeter was 'upgraded' but is a drop in replacement.

Maybe we could compile a list of designs that are offered and use off the shelf drivers.

Sorry to stir the pot,

Rick
Lazarus

Postby TerryO » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:01 am

Lazarus wrote:
Rick,

Best Regards,
TerryO[/quote]

Ok, you caught me. I was blatantly trying to 'butter up' Deon and see if he'd get re-interested in the project. Yes, a skilled layperson could do, in fact I could train up a bit (or a lot) and do it myself if I had the time as it is an art but not one that is unattainable by an intelligent, motivated person. One thing that Deon has that a lay designer doesn't is intimate access to the speaker manufacturers. He could design and bring to fruition a new, better suited driver to the particular design. A lay person doesn’t have similar access. Deon also expressed a desire to build the system to T*X II standards for whatever that is worth as I understand that debate. It is very expensive to learn what those standards are and I doubt any lay designers have intimate knowledge of those but may very well have met or exceeded those parameters with a good ear and measured design. Deon wanted to offer such a design to the hobbyist.

Sorry, I wasn't dissin' the lay designer as you said, many excellent sounding speakers come from the lay mind.

What lay designed home theater speakers do you recommend? A design that is offered free to the enthusiast. The worst case scenario for me would be to bust out some grandpops of Dan Wiggins' design which at the time of design might have been a lay design, not sure on that, but a great example of the PNW audio community at work. I should check to see if those mids are still available I know the tweeter was 'upgraded' but is a drop in replacement.

Maybe we could compile a list of designs that are offered and use off the shelf drivers.

Sorry to stir the pot,

Rick[/quote]

Rick,
Actually I felt that you might have been nudging Deon a bit, but wasn't absolutely sure. As for Home Theater designs, I know the Kepler is a very, very good speaker although when you start needing 4 or 5 speakers it can get pretty pricey. I'm slowly putting together a HT system based on a 2-way design that a buddy (Dave Rosgaard) designed with a series crossover. It took 2nd place overall at our speaker contest two years ago.

Dan Wiggins designed the Bang! speaker as a layman for our $100 "Bang for the Buck" speaker contest, the Pop and Grandpop were designed after he started Avatar (later Adire) Audio.

Best Regards,
TerryO
TerryO

Postby bruhthakuga » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Reading about the Kelpers brought up questions that I need to satify, How close can I have my speakers to the wall? The Kelpers are said to be best about four feet from the front wall, I cannot have that.

My front speakers are a few inches from the wall and seven to ten feet from my head, they are front ported which I think may have something to do with it.

I may be able to give up a foot and a half from the front wall but the side wall a foot maybe on the right wall and I have four on the left wall.

My set up is centered at the end of a eleven by thirty two foot room but there is a six by four foot doorless closet at that end which is why I have more room on one side than the other and where I have my sub.
bruhthakuga

Postby Lazarus » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Rick,
Actually I felt that you might have been nudging Deon a bit, but wasn't absolutely sure. As for Home Theater designs, I know the Kepler is a very, very good speaker although when you start needing 4 or 5 speakers it can get pretty pricey. I'm slowly putting together a HT system based on a 2-way design that a buddy (Dave Rosgaard) designed with a series crossover. It took 2nd place overall at our speaker contest two years ago.

Best Regards,
TerryO[/quote]

Terry,

I searched Dave's name and, of course, the PNWAS page showed all the fun you guys are having out there. When I get more time I'll be back to review the wealth of info posted at your site. I saw that Dave won the under $200 2 way in 2004 with a fine looking speaker that would fit my application nicely. I assume the one you are copying bested that speaker. I've been around the basslist for a lot of years and from just reading posts I'd say that you have a discriminating ear so I am intrigued by your choice of home builts. Series crossover, eh? So, Do designers of your club contest speakers offer their designs to the DIYer? I know it could work either way: Proud of their Intellectual Property and wanting to reserve it or It was all fun and I want to share. I could agree with both attitudes. I currently could find time to solder, saw, and rout but working up a homebrew design will be out of the question and would fall short anyway.

Thanks,
Rick
Lazarus

Postby dB » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:29 pm

hey guy's - I just ran into this thread. Appologies.

I did finish that home theater design - but got frustrated in that I couldn't find good enough midranges, or horn off available to the DIY. had an opportunity at work pop up - and got to design my own. Sadly - since they are comercial production unit's, they are outside of most DIY cost wise :(

Pix of that project can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1785&p=4272#p4272
________
dB
dB

Return to DIYSpeakers general discussion