Adire Audio Bang! Back in the game.

This is the place for all audio-related discussions, which are not covered in any of the other sub-forums.

Adire Audio Bang! Back in the game.

Postby Fledgling » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi all, first time posting since back in 1998 or so. Bit of a break I guess :D

I purchased 1/2 of the parts for the Bang! kit by Adire Audio, and now the tweeter is out of stock!

Jeez, you'd think they'd keep their product lines going for a bit longer than a measley 13 years or so.

Anyway, the link to the project is here: http://stereointegrity.com/Files/BangPlans.pdf

And the piece I'm missing is the tweeter, MCM 53-525 which has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

The crossover has been specifically tailored for the tweeter, so what do I do?

Fledgling
Last edited by Fledgling on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fledgling

Re: Adire Audio Bang! Back in the game.

Postby Fledgling » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:37 pm

Well, it looks like no immediate answer is forthcoming. Bummer.

Next question, does anyone know of a good tweeter (and crossover designed for it) that costs under $50?

If I can find something to pair with the woofers, I can just disregard that part of the circuit and still use them!

Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby DVDdoug » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Yeah, I would just make or buy a standard crossover.

It looks like you've got one 8-ohm tweeter and 2x 8-ohm woofers (=4 ohms for the woofer), Which means an off-the-shelf crossover isn't ideal.

Do you need some help designing a "standard" crossover?

If you already bought the crossover components, I assume you can design-around the coils. You'll have to do some calculations, but maybe you can use some of the capacitors too.

If the tweeter ends-up too "hot", you can always pad it down (resistors). But if the highs are too soft, the best solution is to try a different tweeter (you don't want to pad the woofers).
DVDdoug

Postby llung » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:01 am

Fledgling wrote:Hi all, first time posting since back in 1998 or so. Bit of a break I guess :D

I purchased 1/2 of the parts for the Bang! kit by Adire Audio, and now the tweeter is out of stock!

Jeez, you'd think they'd keep their product lines going for a bit longer than a measley 13 years or so.

Anyway, the link to the project is here: http://stereointegrity.com/Files/BangPlans.pdf

And the piece I'm missing is the tweeter, MCM 53-525 which has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

The crossover has been specifically tailored for the tweeter, so what do I do?

Fledgling

That was a nice design by Dan. I almost built a pair years ago but never got around to it. I guess I won't be now. If you're going to try and replace the tweeter, you'll need something rather efficient. The original 53-525 was rated at 94dB +/-2 dB at 1W/1M at 8ohms, which is why it was used with the dual woofers. It was a 1 inch silk dome tweeter, rated from 2K to 20KHz.

Parts Express has a decent selection of inexpensive tweeters that you can experiment with. I would stick with the low budget side of things since your woofers are cheap as well - no point serving caviar with chicken nuggets. I like the sound of fabric domes but if metal suits you, there are lots of 1 inch metal dome tweeters out there. Of course you'll have to play with the crossover. Do you have any measurement tools? That would help a lot. You can start with a simple textbook design, ignoring things like the notch filter Dan used in the Bang!
good luck
-lou
llung

Postby BeanAnimal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:34 am

If you find a suitable substitute, please do post here. The design was (is) well regarded. I purchased a pile of those tweeterws many years ago but fear that they are nowhere to be found. I do have components to build the small cubes designed to blow the Bose cubes away. I never did get around to building those.
BeanAnimal

Postby Fledgling » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:49 pm

First off, if you find those tweets, I will buy them at full price in a heartbeat. If you feel motivated to go look, I'd sure appreciate that.

I would like to say I'm qualified to choose an alternate, but, well, I'm not.

I have a Radio Shack Audio Level meter, but that's about it.

And my info is about 10 years out of date.

I could design a standard crossover for a highly efficient tweet (I have the books) and be done with it.

The thing that attracted me to the Bang! was the notch filter as well as the analysis Dan did as to where to start the roll-off etc. I am sad that I'll have to give that up. It was the main reason for me to buy the woofers at all. This has been a lesson to me:

If you want to build a kit design, build it quick while the people who designed it are still around to help.

Oh well.

I wonder how good a tweeter with a standard crossover can sound? I would be willing to spend $30 for each tweet and $60 for each crossover. Any ideas?

Like I said, my info is about 10 years out of date. I don't even know if Madisound still exists!

Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby TerryO » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:42 am

As I remember listening to Dan Wiggins' original Bang! at our Audio Club's contest, I can certainly understand the desire to build one.

As a result of the tweeter substitution problem, I emailed Dan to see if he had any ideas.
Here's his reply:

Hi Terry,

I’m in the US – for now…;) Leave for Asia again in 2 weeks. But for now, just here in [location redacted]!

For the tweeter, I think this would be a good option:

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_324&products_id=8353

Proper efficiency, Fs is OK, and price is right!

Dan

Edit: The time between Dan's reply and this posting is about 20 minutes. The Vifa Tweeter mentioned above by Dan are $12.45 each :^)

Hope this is of some use.

Best Regards,
TerryO
TerryO

Postby AEIOU » Mon May 09, 2011 6:43 am

You have to remember that the tweeter chosen for the Bang was chosen because of it affordability. The goal was to make a pair of loudspeakers for no more than $100. Plenty of better tweeters out there, you just have to be willing to pay for them. Way back then, MCM Electronics had a plethora of affordable speaker components, not so much anymore.
This website might be of interest to you --> http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/
AEIOU

Postby Fledgling » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:46 pm

This link just goes to the Madisound main page. I tried the id as 8353 (end of URL) but it doesn't bring anything up?

I wish I saw this link sooner, Terry0 hasn't been on the site since March-ish, so I may have missed my link to finding a compatible tweeter.

Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Lazarus » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:20 pm

That madisound link worked fine for me. I just wanted to bump this post in case anyone was looking for a replacement tweet.
Lazarus

Next

Return to DIYSpeakers general discussion