baffle thickness

This is the place for all audio-related discussions, which are not covered in any of the other sub-forums.

baffle thickness

Postby aryaruoh » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:59 am

Hello

I'm a bit divided regarding a late project for bookshelf speakers. The general thickness of the enclosure is between 3/4" and 1" (22 millimeters exactly). Its interior volume is at 38L (H x W x D = 24,5" x 8.6" x 11").

Considering these measures, I would like to know if I should rather use a 1/2", 3/4", or a full 1" thick front baffle. Regarding flush mounting, it will be performed the easy way by adding a layer of plywood.
aryaruoh

Re: baffle thickness

Postby llung » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:44 pm

aryaruoh wrote:Hello

I'm a bit divided regarding a late project for bookshelf speakers. The general thickness of the enclosure is between 3/4" and 1" (22 millimeters exactly). Its interior volume is at 38L (H x W x D = 24,5" x 8.6" x 11").

Considering these measures, I would like to know if I should rather use a 1/2", 3/4", or a full 1" thick front baffle. Regarding flush mounting, it will be performed the easy way by adding a layer of plywood.

I think you're fine with the 22mm material you're using. Even if you used 19mm (about 3/4 inch), after you add the plywood to flush mount your drivers, you'll be closer to 22mm. If you're concerned about the stiffness of the side walls, just add a rib or shelf brace on the larger panels.
llung

Postby aryaruoh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:32 am

aight, noted.

About the interior, I was planning on chambering the woofer (ported enclosure, vent will be placed behind). Should I also chamber the mid and the tweeter, or only put a brace between their spaces ?
aryaruoh

Postby llung » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:28 pm

aryaruoh wrote:aight, noted.

About the interior, I was planning on chambering the woofer (ported enclosure, vent will be placed behind). Should I also chamber the mid and the tweeter, or only put a brace between their spaces ?

If your drivers (tweeter and mid) have an open back, they should be in their own compartment. Most tweeters are closed; mids vary. Some people like to enclose their drivers even if the backs are closed - really up to you for that one.

As for added bracing, it doesn't hurt to add more - it just takes up more volume which ultimately affects the size of the box. Can it be overkill? sure but that's the spirit of DIY :)
llung

Return to DIYSpeakers general discussion