Project Audax-MTM Remake

This is the place for all audio-related discussions, which are not covered in any of the other sub-forums.

Project Audax-MTM Remake

Postby lambchop » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Hello All!!!
New to the site. Looks pretty awesome. A little about my self:

Years ago I was a car stereo installer at my best friends shop and went pretty big at the national competetition level with our installs. As HT technology started growing he started moving into that direction completely getting out of car audio all together. I started helping him out on the side with home prewires jobs and home automation stuff. He had made some home speakers for a few people that asked if he could. With my woodworking background I had started hammering him on moving his business in that direction. we had attended a couple CES shows and saw/heard all the "big boys" stuff and I new we could build something that competes with them. He was the tech guy I was the builder. It was perfect!!

Well as time went on and we got older (we were in our early 20's back when we were motivated about speaker building) we had to get jobs, get married, and have children. We had made and sold a few sets and I will say Most of them Turned out AWESOME!!! So, 15 years later here I am wanting to get back into speaker building. My skills have grown and I have recently purchased a. Emotiva XPA-5 and UMC-1 that I am looking to build off.

I am a little overwhelmed right now and I'm sure my wife is sick of me having my nose buried in the computer reading so opinions and help are much appreciated. Remember my buddy was the techy and I was the inspiration and craftsman. OH yeah, did I mention that money is not readily available so I'll have to chip away at it.

I would like to rebuild my MTM's. The tweeters are shot (they have been crushed by my children) and the cabinets are pretty banged up from moving over the years, so I'm going to need replacements they are Audax TM025F7. The Woofers are Audax AP130Z0. They are still in great shape. These are about 13 years old. They are very well built and did/do sound fantastic. If you guys think they are not up to date or technology has come a long way, please let me know. If anyone is near middle TN and into testing I would love to see how they do!!! I would like to use as much of my components as I can, the thing is I would like everything to be voiced the same. Everything else I'm using is just mix and match- Polk MT center, Sony bookshelf surrounds, Dayton in wall rear surrounds.

Here are some pictures. I guess I just need to start with your opinion of what I have to work with. A few other drivers I have floating around in the closet that could be used if you think they are anything to ubild off of are a set of Dayton RS150-4, TB W6-1139SI neo 6" woofer, set of TB 25- 1166SJ tweeters.

I can provide crossover values if you need.

Thanks All look for
Attachments
speakers 010.JPG
speakers 010.JPG (111.93 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
speakers 005.JPG
speakers 005.JPG (126.32 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
speakers 004.JPG
speakers 004.JPG (100.03 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
lambchop

Re: Project Audax-MTM Remake

Postby llung » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:44 am

lambchop wrote:Hello All!!!

[snip]
I would like to rebuild my MTM's. The tweeters are shot (they have been crushed by my children) and the cabinets are pretty banged up from moving over the years, so I'm going to need replacements they are Audax TM025F7. The Woofers are Audax AP130Z0. They are still in great shape. These are about 13 years old. They are very well built and did/do sound fantastic. If you guys think they are not up to date or technology has come a long way, please let me know. If anyone is near middle TN and into testing I would love to see how they do!!! I would like to use as much of my components as I can, the thing is I would like everything to be voiced the same. Everything else I'm using is just mix and match- Polk MT center, Sony bookshelf surrounds, Dayton in wall rear surrounds.

Here are some pictures. I guess I just need to start with your opinion of what I have to work with. A few other drivers I have floating around in the closet that could be used if you think they are anything to ubild off of are a set of Dayton RS150-4, TB W6-1139SI neo 6" woofer, set of TB 25- 1166SJ tweeters.

I can provide crossover values if you need.

Thanks All look for

Some random thoughts for you:

-1- Did you ever measure the response of your speaker prior to the kids destroying the tweeter? If so, this would give you an idea of what kind of response you like - flat, extended high end, rising high end, etc. Since you like the sound of the titanium metal dome tweeter you may want to look for another metal dome as a replacement (as opposed to a fabric or ribbon tweeter). Metal tweeters tend to have an extended or even rising high end but be careful about controlling any breakups.

-2- The drivers used sound very similar to a kit Parts Express once offered; designed by Vance Dickason. If so, there may be some people out there with extra tweeters. Check different forums and ask; you may luck out.

-3- Do you have the specs and response curves for the tweeter? If you had to choose a modern day replacement, I'd try and match the FR and impedance curves as closely as possible. If you just select any old tweeter, even a great one, chances are the crossover design will have to change to reflect the new tweeter.

-4- the LDSG's Audax page (http://ldsg.snippets.org/vendors/audax.php) says the F1 is very similar to the F7 in response, so that's another you can try to locate. Note that the links to Audax's web site for plots don't work.

Good luck

-lou
llung

Return to DIYSpeakers general discussion