Drivers for a DIY Desktop System?

This is the place for all audio-related discussions, which are not covered in any of the other sub-forums.

Drivers for a DIY Desktop System?

Postby mulluysavage » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:05 am

I am creating computer speakers/ipod dock with a fun enclosure. I've ordered a Dayton DTA-1 amp, 15 watts per channel max. Can anyone recommend a fullrange driver, perhaps in the 4=5" size?

I figure I should be looking for one rated at about 8 watts, right? I don't know where to find something like this- it seems below the parts expresses of the world and above the radio shacks.

Can anyone also recommend how to do a woofer-tweeter configuration, and how to think about subwoofers?

Thanks for helping me with my small project. I'd like to make it sound as good as possible for what it is. Cheers.
mulluysavage

Re: Drivers for a DIY Desktop System?

Postby llung » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:49 pm

mulluysavage wrote:I am creating computer speakers/ipod dock with a fun enclosure. I've ordered a Dayton DTA-1 amp, 15 watts per channel max. Can anyone recommend a fullrange driver, perhaps in the 4=5" size?

I figure I should be looking for one rated at about 8 watts, right? I don't know where to find something like this- it seems below the parts expresses of the world and above the radio shacks.

Can anyone also recommend how to do a woofer-tweeter configuration, and how to think about subwoofers?

Thanks for helping me with my small project. I'd like to make it sound as good as possible for what it is. Cheers.

Take a look at the Madisound web site:
http://madisound.com/speakerparts/fullrange.php
They have listing for full-range drives of all sizes and $$.

Look for something that will deliver the volume (SPL) you want. For a compute speaker, you don't need that much volume if you use it close to you (say less than 2 ft from your head). But as a dock to fill an entire room, you'll want more max SPL.

Subwoofer? I thought you said it was a "small" project? But seriously, if you want a sub that does well, it won't be small but it doesn't have to be hard to make. If it's intended to supplement your full-range computer speaker, you can finish the full-range first, then build the sub to integrate with the full-range speakers. The only concern I would have is that a sub is normally goes no higher than say 100 Hz on the high end (most home theater specs such as DD are 80Hz for low pass) so your full-range need to go down into that range to integrate with the sub properly.

-lou
llung

Return to DIYSpeakers general discussion