The Puget Sound! diy speaker contest

Flea markets, meetings, BBQs, etc.

The Puget Sound! diy speaker contest

Postby TerryO » Sun May 04, 2008 3:44 am

Hi All,

The Puget Sound Audio Society is once again sponsoring "The Puget Sound! Diy Speaker Contest" which is tentitively scheduled for September 6th on Mercer Island (about 6 miles East of Seattle). More information will follow over the next few weeks. :mrgreen:

Best Regards,
TerryO
TerryO

Re: The Puget Sound! diy speaker contest

Postby scooter » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:15 pm

Terry,
any new info on this?

Thinking of this how does one become a member of the pungent sound audio sorcerers?
Scott
Scott Newkirk
KS Sound and Speaker Repair
Kent, WA
scooter

Postby TerryO » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:35 am

scooter wrote:Terry,
any new info on this?

Thinking of this how does one become a member of the pungent sound audio sorcerers?
Scott

Hi Scott,
I'm afraid that I hadn't noticed your posting. I've been pretty busy getting ready for surgery to my wrist (torn ligaments) and I'm sorry that I wasn't more careful about looking in at the forum. The "Pungent Sound Audio Sorcerers" (I really like that one :mrgreen: ) meet the second Thursday of the month on Mercer Island at 7:30 pm. I don't have the address handy, but I'll post it tomorrow with more information on the "club" and the contest. The yearly membership dues are $60.00.

Best Regards,
Terry Olson
TerryO

Postby TerryO » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:55 pm

(Scott,
I just wanted to add that the link to the map below gives directions to where the Club meetings are held.)

Well, I'm back to confirm that the date of "The Puget Sound! DIY Speaker Contest" is set for Sept 6, 2008.
The format and everything should be much the same as the 2006 event.

**NOTE**
There *may* be a new category: "desktop/mini-mini monitor/computer speakers" for 3.5 inch drivers and under. However, this remains somewhat vague as to how it's to be structured it into the event, so for now it remains only a possibility.

The location of the event is again on Mercer Island. Here's a map and directions:

http://www.scn.org/scottish/maps/michurch.htm

I hope to have updated information online soon, until then, or in addition to that, I'll post here in the forums.

Best Regards,
TerryO
TerryO

Postby scooter » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:32 am

Terry,
time and location look pretty good to me. I can perhaps pawn the twins off on my wife for the evening with small downside tradeoffs :? It would be interesting to meet some of the locals.

Can you post the rules? Are home made drivers acceptable or must the projects be built from commercial drivers?

Hang in there on the surgery!
Scott
Scott Newkirk
Kent, WA
scooter

Postby TerryO » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:02 pm

Scooter (and anyone interested),

Here's the URL of the 2006 Contest Webpage, the rules, etc., should be pretty much the same as we have worked out most of the details, I think :roll:
Remember, this is the 2006 contest, so the date is not correct.
Anyhow here tiz...http://www.freewebs.com/thepugetsound/details.html

Best Regards,
TerryO
TerryO

Postby TerryO » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:26 pm

Whoa,

Just to clarify a little further...
The 2006 info is just that, general info to give a better idea of what the contest consists of. Dan Wiggins, for example, will be in China at the time of the contest and John Nail has consented to do the measurements. None of the dates given are applicable to this year's contest.

Best Regards,
Terry Olson
TerryO

Postby TerryO » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:04 am

Re: "The Puget Sound! diy speaker contest"
Sorry to take so long getting back to this thread, but I had surgery on my wrist on the 2nd of July and I've had trouble getting things done (even after they removed the cast )

I was going to try to get an updated website for the contest, but I'm just going to refer people to the 2006 site. The date, of course has changed, this years contest will be on September 6th. All the information on the 2006 website is correct except where dates are mentioned. If you have questions, post them on this thread and I'll do my best to answer them. Don't be shy, as there are probably others that may have the same question.
Tomorrow, I'll also try to give some info on how the contest is conducted and some of the general information from questions asked in previous years.

As of this evening, you have 50 days left to finalize and build that "dream speaker" for the contest!
So, take a look at the rules, etc., and start building.

Here's the URL:

http://www.freewebs.com/thepugetsound/index.html

Best Regards,
TerryO
TerryO

Postby scooter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:43 pm

Thanks Terry,
I had too much on my plate to go to the meeting this month. I'll try again next month.

I'm contemplating drivers for the speaker contest.
Scooter
Scott Newkirk
Kent, WA
scooter

Postby TerryO » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:42 am

To Scott and All.
Just a reminder to all NW (or anyone else willing to travel) speaker builders:

As of tomorrow, you have 40 days to get those speakers ready for "The Puget Sound!"

If you're interested, read the rules that are linked in my previous posting and let us know you'd like to enter. The Link is to the 2006 Contest, so ignore the dates, the rest of the information is correct.

The date? It's Saturday, September 6, 2008 on Mercer Island. That's about 4 miles or so from Seattle on I-90. Start time is 9:00 am. :mrgreen:

Hope to see you there!

Best Regards,
TerryO
TerryO

Next

Return to Events