Novice Speaker Builder....HELP!

Sealed, vented, bandpass, etc.

Novice Speaker Builder....HELP!

Postby tgauger » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:43 am

Dear Wise ones,

I am a car audio guy who is dipping his toes into home audio speaker building. I have built many subwoofer enclosures in the past and have a decent grasp of home audio. I've also worked in radio broadcast so i am very familiar with what a good speaker sounds like, so your efforts will not be in vain.

Basically the deal is this. I have a set of drivers and tweeters (new stuff) that a friend gave me. I would like to build a nice set of tower speakers for my living room. I do not have specs on the tweets but they are 1" silk domes. The drivers are (cheap) GRS 8PR-8" speakers with the TS parameters are as follows.

Specifications: • Power handling: 65 watts RMS/90 watts max • VCdia: 1-1/2" • Le: 1.07 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms • Re: 7.58 ohms • Frequency range: 40-5,000 Hz • Fs: 52 Hz • SPL: 85 dB 1W/1m • Vas: 0.76 cu. ft. • Qms: 4.77 • Qes: 1.45 • Qts: 1.11 • Xmax: 3 mm • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 8", Cutout diameter: 7-5/16", Depth: 3-7/16".

Ideally i would like to build some 5ish foot tall towers. Ported would be preferred, just because im gonna have to try to maximize the bass response from a driver with only a 3mm xmax but Id be fine with sealed. Folks, any help would be appreciated. If you guys could give me some sample boxes that would be awesome.

Thanks so much.
tgauger

Return to Conventional enclosures